This photo is of the Flinders Street and Spencer Street intersection around 1930.
Just visible on the left of the photo is the Sir Charles Hotham Hotel, situated on the north-east corner of those two streets. In the centre of the photo is the magnificent structure that is commonly referred to as "The Fish Market", located on the south-east corner. On the right is the curved Railway Viaduct that connects Flinders Street Station with Spencer Street Station (now known as Southern Cross Station).
The Corporation Market Building (also known as the Fish Market, although lots of other fresh and frozen meats were stored and sold from buildings in this area), constructed in 1891 as the main wholesale market for meat and fish. Prior to its construction, all of the fish sales were conducted in the old Fish Market (1865-1896) on the south-west corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets. The old Fish Market was removed to make way for the new Flinders Street Railway Station.
Eventually the Corporation Market Buildings were demolished in the years of 1959 and 1960. By that time they had outlived their original purpose and due to the increase in the volume of goods and the corresponding increase in transportation, it was time to relocate this industry to another place outside of the city. The foundations were also failing due to the swampy soils on the riverbank.
All text © HotPress
Photograph attributed to the Victorian Railways.
The notes from the State Library tell us that this "Image shows Spencer Street Bridge cafe and Mayne Nickless."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.