A photograph of the eastern end of Collins Street around 1888. We are looking at buildings on the south side of Collins Street.
At the time, the majority of the buildings at the eastern end of Collins Street between Spring and Russell Streets were residences and rooms of eminent doctors and dentists.
The two buildings on the left of the image are still there, but all of the other buildings including the Masonic Hall (twin domes) and the Oriental Hotel have all long gone.
Compare this view with an earlier view around 1877 here.
All text © HotPress
Photograph attributed to Charles B. Walker.
The notes from the State Library tell us that this image is a "View down Collins Street East, south side to the Oriental Hotel from the corner of Spring Street".
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.