A photograph around 1874 of Flinders Street, looking west from Queen Street. Flinders Street had buildings on its north side, but the south side was mainly wharves between Queen Street and Spencer Street. The area where the ships can be seen on the left was called the Turning Basin, a wide area of the Yarra where ships could turn around and head back out to sea.
Most of the buildings are hotels or bond stores, where overseas goods are held while waiting for customs clearance. The actual Customs House is in Flinders Street, directly to the right of the photographer.
All text © HotPress
Photographer was Charles Bayliss (American and Australasian Photographic Company).
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of New South Wales. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.