Steam Tugboat "J.W. Alexander" was one of a number of tugboats used by the Melbourne Harbour Trust to tow and push larger vessels in and out of Port Melbourne and the Docks.
J.W. Alexander was built in Sydney 1905, and lost when she sank after a collision in Corio Bay in 1936.
This photograph is from the early 20th century, actual date unknown.
All text © HotPress
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.