A photo of 280-286 Collins Street, showing the southern facade of "The Block", around 1930. The Block building includes a beautiful arcade that bends around and exits into Elizabeth Street. The Collins St Block building (shown in this photo) was completed by February 1892. The Elizabeth Block building was completed the year after. Joining the two buildings is the L-shaped Block Arcade - one of the most beautiful arcades in the Southern Hemisphere. The Arcade's floor is an elaborately patterned mosaic floor of tiles, imported from Europe and at the time was the largest mosaic in Australia.
All text © HotPress
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is of "The Block Arcade, on north side of Collins Street, between Elizabeth Street and Swanston Street. Window displays for Kodak and Singer Sewing Machines. "
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.