Interesting photo of the Burke & Wills Chambers Building that was located on the south-west corner of Russell and Collins Street. All of the buildings in this photo were demolished within a few years to accommodate the new T&G Life Assurance building, the first stage of which was completed in 1929. The beautiful Anzac House building is to the right of the image.
All text © HotPress
Photographer Lyle Fowler (1891-1969).
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is of "Burke & Wills Chambers, Cnr. Collins and Russell Streets, site of T. & G. Building. Also Anzac House, 149 Collins Street."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.