PLEASE NOTE: This image is square, and may require special framing.
A photograph from 1914 of the building on the south east corner of Collins and Russell Streets, built in 1886 as residences and professional suites for Dr. J. G. Beaney, to a design by William Salway. At the time of the photo, the building was being used as a private hospital.
In 1917 the building was purchased by the Alexandra Club, a private womens-only club, where they operated from until moving to new premises in 1981.
The building is now a Melbourne showroom for Louis Vuitton.
All text © HotPress
Photograph attributed to Spencer Shier.
The notes from the State Library tell us that this image is "Looking across intersection of Collins and Russell streets towards four storey classical style building with corner tower at roof and flag pole. A private hospital at the time the picture was taken."
This is a photograph from 1891 showing the building as it was originally.
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.