A photograph of the intersection of Collins and Elizabeth Streets around 1914. We see a mix of transportation here with old-technology horse and cart and hansom carts, along with new-technology automobiles, cable cars and a double decker omnibus moving along Collins Street. The building in the centre of the photo houses B.H. Altson's, the Tobacconist, and was constructed in 1903 on the site of the first brick building in Melbourne. The architect was Nahum Barnett, whose architectural style graced every street in the CBD.
Heading up Collins Street to the right is Dunkling's the jeweller, then the Block building. Controlling the intersection are two policemen on point duty in their white hats using flags to manage the traffic.
Photograph is attributed to Lyle Fowler.
All text © HotPress
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is a view of the "Intersection of Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Melbourne, from south east corner, showing horse-drawn vehicles, cable trams, cars and pedestrians".
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.