A photo of the impressive "The Argus and Australasian" office building in Collins Street around 1910. This building was completed in 1890 and was located on the south side of Collins Street, just west of where the Regent Theatre is today. The building on the left of the photo is Stillwell's Printers, situated where the Regent Theatre stands today. A small laneway ran between the two buildings to the rear of the Argus building. We are showing a close up of the front of the building and the next photo is from the 1890s, when the building was just completed.
The "Argus" daily newspaper was an important Melbourne morning paper since 1846, but started losing circulation numbers in the 1950s, and finally ceased publication in 1957, although its other weekly publication the "Australasian" continued as the "Australasian Post" (more commonly referred to as the "Post") up until 2002, making it the longest-running continuously published magazine in Australia. The owners of the "Argus" built a new large building on the corner of Elizabeth and Latrobe Streets in 1926 and the building in this photo was demolished not long afterwards.
All text © HotPress
Photograph is attributed to the Darge Photographic Company.
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is of a "Three storey Victorian building with balustrade along roof line and stone gable imprinted with name "Argus & Australasian", dormer window in centre of second storey. The name of the newspaper is also printed in the stonework above first storey. Newspaper headlines in windows of ground floor, automobile at curb, men looking at newspapers in window."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.