A photograph of Swanston Street looking north across Princes Bridge around the 1890s. We can see the earlier Flinders Street Station building on the left, and we know that construction of the new Station started in 1900, so that dates this photograph just at the end of the 19th century. St. Paul's Cathedral was also completed to this point by 1891, so the photograph has to be after that date.
On the north side of the Station building is the Princes Bridge Hotel, also known as Young & Jackson's. Horsepower, cable trams, buggies and bicycles were the modes of transport at the time on our roads, as we look right up to the top end of Swanston Street. St. Paul's Cathedral (without its spires) is looming on the right and the Princes Bridge Railway Station building is in front of it.
All text © HotPress
The notes from the State Library tell us that this image "Shows rider on horse and one on bicycle, ca. 1890-ca. 1900.".
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.