A beautiful vista of Spring Street at the end of the 19th century, taken from the steps of the Treasury building. This photograph was one of many of early Melbourne taken by John William Lindt in the 1890s, when Melbourne had established itself as one of the world's most significant cities. The magnificent "Grand Hotel" (later renamed as "Hotel Windsor") is in the centre of the image. The monument to General Charles George Gordon was erected in 1887 in the area known as Carpentaria Place, now known as Gordon Reserve. Today, one can stand in that exact location and see a very similar vista, but in a modern setting.
All text © HotPress
Photograph by John William Lindt.
Notes from the State Library of Victoria say that the image is "Looking along Spring Street with balustrade and street lamp of Treasury building in left foreground, statue of General Gordon in centre of image, Sheehan's New Treasury Hotel and the Grand Hotel (later renamed The Windsor) on left, horse drawn wagon on road, roof of Parliament House visible over trees in right background."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.