1885 Flinders Street Station looking east
Description
This image from around 1885 is looking to the east, into the Flinders Street Station.
The original station was a very small weatherboard single-roomed structure, built in 1854, the year that the first railway line brought passengers from Sandridge (later known as Port Melbourne). The railway line ended at the southern end of Elizabeth Street, and the station buildings, in all of their iterations for the next five decades, were at that location with the entrance in Flinders Street.
Over the years more facilities were added, along with a number of new lines. The growth of Melbourne's suburbs was facilitated by the suburban railway network. By the 1870s, the station encompassed raised platforms, magnificent platform canopies, large storage facilities, and the trains carried thousands of passengers weekly.
The clock in the distance is now located in the entrance to Southern Cross Station.
Locomotive Number 17 was a 4-4-0 well tank delivered new to the Victoria Railways by Phoenix Foundry in Ballarat in 1883. Number 16 was a Robert Stephenson 2-4-0 well tank built for the former Hobson's Bay Railway in 1866.
All text © HotPress
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the Public Records of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove damage caused by the storage and handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.
Description
This image from around 1885 is looking to the east, into the Flinders Street Station.
The original station was a very small weatherboard single-roomed structure, built in 1854, the year that the first railway line brought passengers from Sandridge (later known as Port Melbourne). The railway line ended at the southern end of Elizabeth Street, and the station buildings, in all of their iterations for the next five decades, were at that location with the entrance in Flinders Street.
Over the years more facilities were added, along with a number of new lines. The growth of Melbourne's suburbs was facilitated by the suburban railway network. By the 1870s, the station encompassed raised platforms, magnificent platform canopies, large storage facilities, and the trains carried thousands of passengers weekly.
The clock in the distance is now located in the entrance to Southern Cross Station.
Locomotive Number 17 was a 4-4-0 well tank delivered new to the Victoria Railways by Phoenix Foundry in Ballarat in 1883. Number 16 was a Robert Stephenson 2-4-0 well tank built for the former Hobson's Bay Railway in 1866.
All text © HotPress
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the Public Records of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove damage caused by the storage and handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.