A beautiful photograph taken during the 1880s of an elevated view from the roof of Victoria Barracks looking north along St Kilda Road to the City of Melbourne.
We know that this photograph was taken sometime between 1880 when the Exhibition Buildings were completed, and before 1886 when the new Prince's Bridge was commenced. The photograph reveals the gentle rise from central Melbourne up to Eastern Hill on the right. We can also see the construction of the new St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral on the corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets. St. Paul's was started in 1880 and was completed in 1891, although the famous spires were not commenced until 1926, and completed in 1932.
All text © HotPress
Photograph attributed to John William Lindt.
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is of a "Man standing leaning on wrought iron railing at roof's edge, looking out over a view of St Kilda Road, with City buildings and church spires in distance."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.