1880s Flinders Street


A rather quiet looking Flinders Street, taken from across Spencer Street, looking east. The Sir Charles Hotham Hotel on the corner of Flinders and Spencer Streets is long gone, with a new edifice erected in 1912, still bearing the Sir Charles Hotham name. Away in the medium distance we see masts of ships, docked on the north side of the Yarra, just in front of the Customs House (the building with the double flagpoles).

All text © HotPress

Photographer unknown.

Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is a "View east along Flinders Street possibly from the area of Victoria Dock, footpath and unmade road on left in front of three storey Sir Charles Hotham hotel on the corner of Spencer Street, docklands on right with wooden structure signed: Victoria New Dock Weighbridge, mast of sailing ships on Yarra visible on left, carts and carriages."

This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.

Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.

Related Items