A photograph from 1875 of Melbourne looking North East across to Fitzroy, Collingwood and Kew. The old Eastern Market is central to the photo. Far over on the right hand side we can see a portion of St. Patrick's Cathedral under construction. The building with the large roof is the earlier version of the Princess Theatre.
The photograph was taken from the top of Scots' Church on the corner of Russell and Collins Streets. Scots' Church was completed in 1874 and was the highest building in Melbourne at that time and provided a wonderful platform for bird's-eye photographs of Melbourne.
All text © HotPress
Photograph attributed to the Paterson Brothers.
The notes from the State Library tell us that this image is a "Photographic print, elevated view, of Melbourne looking east. Shows empty market shelters, hotels and houses, with other buildings including several churches in background."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.