1874 Swanston Street from Flinders Street


A photo from early 1874 looking north along Swanston Street from Flinders Street.

On the left of the photo we see the Princes Bridge Hotel, which at that time was licensed to Joshua Mooney. In the following year, 1875, the Hotel licence was acquired by two cousins, Young and Jackson. 

In the centre of the photo is the Melbourne Town Hall, recognised by its tower (without the clock, which was added in August 1874). The portico was added in 1887.

On the right is St Paul's Church (commenced construction in 1848, removed in 1885), the predecessor of the current St Paul's Cathedral.

All text © HotPress

Photographer was Charles Bayliss.

This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of New South Wales, held in their Mitchell Library. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.

Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling and storage of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.

Related Items