1874 Beach Street Sandridge


A photo from early 1874 looking east along Beach Street, Sandridge (later known as Port Melbourne from 1884) from the corner of Princes Street. 

On the left of the photo is Mitchell's London Hotel. Further along Beach Street is the Freemason's Tavern, sited on the corner of Stokes Street. A large industrial chimney further to the east belongs to the Sandridge Sugar Works factory, which commenced in the 1860s, but burnt down in 1875. The large gates, which were usually closed, provided a secure entrance to the railway yards.  

All text © HotPress

Photographer was Charles Bayliss.

This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of New South Wales, held in their Mitchell Library. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.

Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling and storage of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.

Collections: Melbourne 1860-1880

Related Items