1865 Collins Street looking West over William Street


Collins Street taken in 1865, looking West from the intersection with William Street. The block of land on the left corner (numbered 100) was known as Batman's Corner, due to the prior ownership by John Batman. Batman built the two-storey building shown here (most probably updated since 1839), which was claimed to be Melbourne's first brick building. This site was later occupied by a substantial building for the Australian Mutual Provident Society around 1878.

On October 3, 1839, the new town's Superintendent, Charles LaTrobe arrived. Through heavy rain he was escorted up a very muddy William Street to this corner where a two-storied building erected by John Batman stood, which was used at that time as Williams's auction-room. LaTrobe was warmly welcomed as he read his appointment proclamation to a fervent crowd of town people. 

All text © HotPress

Photograph by Charles Nettleton.

This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.

Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.

Related Items