Very detailed rendering of the activity around Queen's Wharf in 1864. At the time, the wharf areas on the north bank of the Yarra River were some of the busiest parts of Melbourne. In this area Flinders Street runs very close to the wharves, and lies between Queen's Wharf and the Customs House.
The dark domed tower belongs to St James' Cathedral, located on the corner of Williams and Little Collins Streets. The large building in the centre, behind the ships, is the Old Customs House. On the right, we're looking straight up Market Street, with the beautiful Temple Court building looking back at the viewer. This area of Melbourne had many bonded stores and quite a few still survive today.
Queen's Wharf is the earliest wharf in Melbourne and came about because it was the northern bank of the Turning Basin and just south of Flinders Street. This area was just west of the Falls and was the widest part of the Yarra, thereby allowing even the largest ships the ability to be turned around and to head down the Yarra to Hobson's Bay.
The original lithograph is attributed to François Cogné (1829-1883).
All text © HotPress
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is an image of "Steam and sail boats moored at wharf in left background. Row boats on the water in foreground; Also shows Goldsbrogh's Woolstores in right background, pedestrian, ox drawn wagons, horses and carriages on wharf in right background."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.