An early photo of Swanston Street in 1858, looking north from Collins Street. The building on the right was the first Melbourne Town Hall, with a police station and gaol being constructed on its northern side. In August 1858 a bylaw was introduced to stop the cabs waiting in the gutters, instead they were to wait in the centre of the roads.
Photograph is attributed to Richard Daintree and Antoine Fauchery.
All text © HotPress
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is a "View of Swanston Street looking north from Collins Street."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.