An early photograph around 1858 looking west, from the eastern end of Bourke Street where it meets Spring Street. We can see right along Bourke Street out to the western extremities of Melbourne. Spring Street runs across the photo in the foreground. The lamposts in the foreground belong to Parliament House, commenced building in 1855, and from where Charles Nettleton captured this image.
On the left hand corner we see The Old White Hart Hotel which has occupied this site (in a number of iterations) for 170 years and can be seen in the 1861 photograph here, where it has been rebuilt as the White Hart Hotel and extended south along Spring Street.
Photograph by Charles Nettleton.
All text © HotPress
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is a "View of Bourke Street looking west from Spring Street."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.