A lithograph from 1847 looking to the north along Elizabeth Street, with Collins Street running across the image. The only building in this image still extant is St Francis' Roman Catholic Church on the NE corner of Elizabeth and Lonsdale Street (opened 1845).
Lithograph by John Skinner Prout (1805-1876).
All text © HotPress
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image "Shows unsealed Elizabeth Street, with bullock team, men on horses and pedestrians. St. Francis Church can be seen in the distance on the corner of Lonsdale and Elizabeth Streets."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.