One of the earliest panoramic drawings of Melbourne as it appeared in 1841, drawn from the original Scots' Church on the corner of Russell and Collins Streets.
This 3-part image was engraved by Alfred Martin Ebsworth in 1889, and was published in the Supplement to "The Australasian Sketcher," April 18, 1889. Samuel Jackson (1807-76), architect of the first Scots' Church also made a panoramic pencil drawing from its walls, then under construction in 1841.
Notes from the State Library state that this is a "View across Collins-street (between Russell and Swanston streets), looking towards the Yarra and Hobson's Bay -- View down Collins-street to the summit of the rise at William-street, Little Collins-street showing on the right -- View of the City westwards and northwards towards Flagstaff-Hill. Swanston-street beyond buildings in foreground and Elizabeth-street in middle distance."
All text © HotPress
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators are working on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.