An engraving from 1839 looking to the north from the south side of the Yarra. We see the spread of the young Melbourne village from Batman's Hill, on the left hand side, to Swanston Street over on the right. By this year, most of the growth of the village occurred between Spencer St and Swanston Street.
A legend showing major places of business and local identities was included below the engraving.
Drawn by J. Adamson, engraved by J. Carmichael.
All text © HotPress
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is an "Engraving of Melbourne township looking north. Shows houses and other buildings on hillside, with tents and huts in foreground, and two men in clearing lower left."
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.