1906c Flinders Street Fish Market

MI_1132_A4

Flinders Street around 1906 looking eastward from Spencer Street. On the left there are a number of hotels, providing lodging, meals and beverages, to the waves of seamen who would have docked at the wharves just a hundred metres to the right of the image. 

The large building on the right is the Corporation Market Building (also known as the Fish Market, although lots of other fresh and frozen meats were stored and sold from here), constructed in 1891 as the main wholesale market for meat and fish. Prior to its construction, all of the fish sales were conducted in the old Fish Market (1865-1900) on the south-west corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets. The old Fish Market was removed to make way for the new Flinders Street Railway Station. 

Eventually the Corporation Market Buildings were demolished in the years of  1959 and 1960, not 1956 as mentioned in the State Library notes below. By that time they had outlived their original purpose and due to the increase in the volume of goods and the corresponding increase in transportation, it was time to  relocate this industry to another place outside of the city.

Looking along Flinders Street we can see the work going on to build Flinders Street Station, and the clock tower is halfway completed.

All text © HotPress

Photographer unknown.

The notes from the State Library tell us that this image is a "Looking east down Flinders Street with the old fish market (demolished in 1956 [sic]) in right foreground, showing spire and clock tower. Horse drawn carriages, pedestrians and trams in street.."

This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.

Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.



Related Items