A photograph of the Theatre Royal (1872-1933) in 1877, where a production entitled "Pluto" was playing to enthralled crowds. This building was at 236 Bourke Street on the northern side between Swanston Street and Russell Street. A store which found accommodation in the ground floor of the theatre was S.S. Hough & Co.'s Depot of Novelties, also offering themselves as Importers of Fancy Goods.
The theatre replaced the previous Theatre Royal on this site, which burnt down in 1872.
All text © HotPress
Photograph is attributed to N. J. Caire.
Notes from the State Library tell us that this image is of "The Theatre Royal, Melbourne".
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.
An early photograph around 1861 looking west, from the eastern end of Bourke Street where it meets Spring Street. We can see right along Bourke Street...View full product details
A photograph of St. Patrick's Cathedral under construction in 1861. The foundation stone for the Cathedral was laid in 1858, and construction took longer than expected,...View full product details